Sunday, September 26, 2010

Variations on a theme



The Log Cabin has always been one of my favorite cloth quilts, partly because I think it offers so much room for interpretation.
I always enjoy finding one on the quilt trail, and I have found that painted versions of this pattern have a lot of variety as well. Above left is one of the first from Grundy County, Iowa--just gorgeous!

I love the black barn with the quilt from Scott County, Kentucky; their choosing to include multiple blocks shows what the pattern looks like when put together.

On the left is an interpretation from Miami County, Ohio--some interesting "fabric" choices here. Like the one from Grundy, it is painted directly on the barn surface. It's a lot of very difficult and sometimes dangerous work, but gosh--the results are stunning!

Below is a great little barn in Monroe County, Ohio--another beauty painted directly on the wood surface. If you look closely, you will see that someone peeked out his window to see what I was up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment