Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Kindness of Strangers . . .




Blanche DuBois, the main character in Tennessee Williams' play A Streetcar Named Desire is often quoted, "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."

For me--and for many of us, I hope--the kindness of strangers has played a pivotal role. It was a kind stranger who took the time to tell me why she had a painted quilt hung on her barn, another who directed me to Donna Sue Groves, and the kindest of all--Donna Sue, who was a stranger at the time--who gave me the opportunity to tell this story.

Along the way, many "strangers" were kind enough to offer all kinds of help and hospitality, from a simple map to a guided tour, to food and lodging. And some of those strangers became friends.

But most who will read this are strangers to me, so to you I beg a bit of indulgence.

Here is a request/offer for those of you who are planning to purchase my book when it comes out in a few months.

I am participating in a fundraiser for Georgia River Network--a nonprofit organization that safeguards our water supply in Georgia. I will be kayaking 106 miles in a weeklong fundraiser in June. That's over 15 miles a day, folks!

For those who don't know me, and am 51, and for those who have never been to Georgia in June, it will be HOT. But I am determined to do this, and now that I am committed to it, I want to make a difference.

SO--I'm trying to think of creative fundraising ideas. Here you go:

For every dollar you donate (up to $20) to Georgia River Network in my name, you will receive a 1% discount on an autographed copy of the book, "Barn Quilts and the American Quilt Trail Movement." So--donate $10, your autographed copy of the book will be discounted 10%. Donate $20, you will receive a 20% discount.

Of course, you may give more, and you may give whether you intend to purchase a book or not.

If you didn't do anything for Mother Earth yesterday for Earth Day, now is your chance! I will be doing all of the work (did I mention the 106 miles?), and both you and the environment will benefit.

Thanks in advance for your kindness. Be sure to leave a message here after you donate, so that I can keep a record.

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/parron/Paddle-Georgia-2011


Our Easter barn quilt is Flower Basket at the Bingley Barn in Kankakee, Illinois. I featured a snow shot of it last winter, but spring really is its season! And Easter is the day for baskets!

1 comment:

  1. What a challenge! Sign me up. Denise and I are going to the CQA quilting conference, and would like to promote your book. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete