Saturday, March 29, 2014

March Madness on the Quilt Trail


We had such an incredible time in Louisiana, and I haven't shared nearly enough.  We definitely ate our way through Ponchatoula--our hostess, Ann, cooked up some crab pie that was just delicious!  She also took us to the Millside Restaurant, where we saw another of her quilt block creations: 
The catfish and shrimp represent two of the types of seafood served here, and of course that meant that we had to sample two different Po Boy sandwiches.  Oh, wait--they had soft shell crab, too, so Glen and I split three sandwiches!
Oh, and I forgot to mention the gumbo.  Of course there was gumbo!  Incredible.

Our favorite part of the meal was a new experience for us both--crawfish!  Here I am with Ann and our second platter full.
I realized as soon as I looked at these guys why I never liked crawfish in Georgia.  Ours are about 1/4 the size, which means that there is almost no meat inside--just not worth the effort.  In Louisiana, it's a whole 'nother story--and we savored every bite.  I got pretty good at getting the meat out of the tail, but Ann prepared a few just to make sure I had plenty. That's a good hostess for you!

Everyone tells me that I write about food a lot, and I know that I do.  But that's part of traveling, isn't it?  But just for the naysayers, here is a photo of a place where we didn't eat. The name just made me smile.  Mind you we didn't avoid the place for any particular reason; we just had plenty to eat already.

OK back to the quilt trail.  Here is an awesome quilt block created by artist Rolly Bruce. He is quite a glass artist; every window in his home has a different design!  Isn't this incredible?  It is on plexiglass, so that it will withstand the weather. I will challenge you to find out more about this block on the Louisiana quilt trail by checking out their website: http://www.louisianaquilttrail.com/tangipahoamid-oak.html

We hated to say goodbye to Ann Boudreaux and Ponchatoula.  It really felt like leaving family behind!  But the great thing about family is that you can always go home again--and we will.

This was one of the times I was SO glad that Glen does most of the driving--the bridge across Lake Ponchartrain to New Orleans--scary!

I had planned a weekend in New Orleans, and of course that meant--yep, food!  We saw Commander's Palace on Top Chef last year, and it looked pretty cool.  So--Sunday Brunch started off our day.  That's Glen in my favorite shirt.  Real men do wear pink!

We had a good walk around the historic cemetery.  I expected to see a lot of French names, but many were German.  I am going to have to look into New Orleans history a bit more, I think.

SO--I started off calling this madness.  Yes, it got crazy from there.  First, a drive to Ajax, LA, where we stayed in a nice RV park and paddled the Red River.  Both of us forgot our cameras, so you will just have to take my word for it, I guess.

Mt. Pleasant, TX was our next stop.  It's not a barn quilt, but it's a pretty cool barn painting, don't you think?  Even in the rain!

Driving north towards Tulsa, we passed through a lot of hilly countryside.  I was surprised, as I expected nothing but flat land. And, as usual, I got a kick out of some strange strange place names--how about this one? 
We also passed through Paris and Bogota before we got to Deport.  Maybe that was someone's name--I don't know!



I was so proud of myself for finding a parking spot in Tulsa right next to the Arkansas River. It looks so wide on the map--had to be some good kayaking there!  oops. It's wide, alright, but not much by way of water.
Luckily, there is a really nice bike path along the river, and we enjoyed that today.

March madness continues tomorrow as we head to Kansas!  Stay tuned . . .







2 comments:

  1. Suzi, so glad you enjoyed your tour through Louisiana. You must come back. I know our LNQT board members filled you with information as well as food. New Orleans is wonderful, too. A bit about NOLA history: There was a City of Lafayette that was a municipality on its own before being incorporated into New Orleans. The cemetery was once in the City of Lafayette, hence its name. I have ancestors interred there. The area was a location for many German immigrants who came in the mid-1800s, as did my family. NOLA history is multi-cultural and fascinating. Please come again and see more of the quilt block trail.
    Kathi Mayor, Manager
    Washington Parish Tourism Commission

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathi,
      Thanks so much for this info! I will definitely try to spend more time next time when I am not under a deadline for my book--see you then!

      Delete