Thursday, October 8, 2009

Georgia on My Mind















Believe it or not, there is a quilt trail--a downtown walking tour--in Powder Springs, GA, which is about 45 miles from home. Today was a beautiful day, and I had the day off to take care of some other business, so I finally made the trip.

What a sweet little town; I can't believe that in thirty years of living in Atlanta, I have never been there. It's small--only a dozen or so businesses in the downtown area. But it would make a great afternoon getaway.

The quilts are mostly painted directly on buildings; within a five-minute walk, you can see ten of them! Great traditional patterns, many in "full quilt" layout, rather than just a block.

The Grandmother's Flower Garden above has always been a favorite pattern. I inherited my grandmother's scrap bag, and I made a quilt in that pattern, incorporating some of the fabrics she had saved from her old dresses. It is my favorite for covering my feet during the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment